“Your mind is a motor, but your spirit is your transmission”
“Your mind is a motor, but your spirit is your transmission”
Edited By:Sarah Jean-Louis
May 15th was a blessed day as I had the privilege to celebrate my 28th birthday. However what most don’t know is part of my birthday was spent scrapping my car as the transmission started to slip and it was just any minute before I could be stranded on the road. For some reason something inside me convinced me that this was not just a superficial experience but one of more depth and meaning. It resonated within me that the way I was navigating through life was first not up to standard , and second too old , I still had the old me behind the wheel. I needed a new means of transportation, that I had to learn how it felt to be a pedestrian , be more punctual, and generally manage the way I move through life better. As I was exhorting a close friend, suddenly I got exhorted by the Spirit, he said “Your mind is a motor, but your spirit is your transmission”. Immediately insight started to pour in and I could see what these current events really meant.
1.Your Spirit Is Manual
Not only is your spirit a transmission its manual, so you shift in and out of gears . If that’s the case your heart is your clutch , but you keep making the mistake of burning your clutch! How many times do you have to burn your heart out for all the wrong people and things only to realize it’s not worth it? (A)
2.It doesn’t matter if you have a Great Engine
Although you may have the fastest, efficient, and state of the art engine ready to take on a “Formula One” race, if your transmission is broken you’re not going anywhere. Well that explains how some the sharpest minds are just too smart for the kingdom and when that trumpet sounds like a gun shot at a race track those folks will be reviving however remaining in park! (B)
I previously owned a 1984 Buick Regal, those days I sold dope what happened? The transmission got so bad I could only drive in reverse. As a matter of fact, that’s what I was actually doing getting farther behind. I got a more recent vehicle with very low mileage that too had transmission problems even after I had the transmission rebuilt, I had to get rid of both. (C)
4.It’s More Important
One of the most important mechanisms in a car is the transmission. Which makes all the more sense why it’s so expensive to fix. I’d rather have an engine problem any idea compared to a transmission issue, which proves why your spirit is just that much important than your mind! In addition even if your engine fails you can put the car in neutral and still move!(D)
5.Your Heart Is Your Clutch
Now even after years of progression and transformation I find myself stagnant yet still burning my clutch because of lack of self control which led to fornication, burnt clutch and parked car. I had to raise my standard and get a new car altogether. (E)
6.See Your Mechanic Before It Gets Worse
It’s funny how car problems are so annoying and we’re so dependent on them. It made me realize how often we here the noises our car makes that lets us know it’s time to bring it to the garage. We don’t want to go, don’t want to spend more money, and don’t want to “waste” time. However the noises you hear are from heaven telling u give up turn in your vehicle to your mechanic let him evaluate the problem, let him scan your heart, let him lift u up literally! Will u listen to that squeaky noise telling you its more than your brake pads, bearings, or ball joint. Or will you ride until your stranded? (F)
7. Drive A Stick
Driving automatic spiritually in my book means to allow another authority decide when you shift gears. Too many believers are limited to church movements, church doctrines, and church leaders. If you only move when your church(institution) moves your driving automatic! Raise your standard, Scrap your car regardless of how much you change the oil and keep your mind tuned up, if your spirit is off you will stay in park. Rise to the occasion, the keys to your new vehicle are waiting for you outside your gate of comfort!(G)
References Provided Below
- A-Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.13 You will seek me and find me WHEN YOU SEEK ME WITH ALL YOUR HEART.
- B-1 Corinthians 3:18 Do not deceive yourselves. If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become “fools” so that you may become wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness”[a]; 20 and again, “The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile.”[b]21 So then, no more boasting about human leaders! All things are yours, 22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas[c] or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, 23 and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.
- B2-1 Thessalonians 4:13 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.
- C-Phillipains 3:13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
- D-Proverbs 18:14 The spirit of a man will sustain him in sickness,But who can bear a broken spirit?
- E-1 Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.
- F-Hebrews 3: 15See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another daily,as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. 14 We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end. 15 As has just been said:“Today, if you hear his voice,do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion.”[c]Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt? 17 And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies perished in the wilderness? 18 And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed?19 So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.)
- G-Hebrews 8:11 None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest ofthem. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds[b] I will remember no more.”[c]In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.